Firsty’s app development team creates native applications for iOS and Android devices and web applications. We are also happy to discuss the merits of alternative app solutions including hybrid apps, and those leveraging various SDKs. The bulk of our app development experience to date has been for iOS applications and in particular adapting childrens’ picture books, ELT books, study/revision guides, reference books and comics.
If you are thinking about creating an application from a book then you should be prepared to invest not just in the production, but also the marketing. Apps are significantly more expensive to produce than eBooks, but they often sell for only a fraction of the price of an eBook.
Don’t be fooled into believing that great content, a best-seller label and even a recognised brand will translate into similar success for your app. Discoverability is still a major battle and you will need to build an effective marketing strategy to win it.
If you’d like to know more about your options and are looking for some objective advice borne out of real world experience then please do call or email us.
If you have already decided to create an app from one of your titles then the list below will give you a feel for just some of features that can be built into your app.
- bespoke animation
- image gallery with ‘pinch and zoom’
- video, audio and media overlays
- swipe the text to hear a narrator reading it
- touch a button to record another person reading text
- drag and drop functions
- instructional game play (jigsaw, memory, counting, patterns, spot the difference, and many other formats)
- question and answer sessions
- colouring/painting tools
- tools to enable users to personalise and prioritise content
- image capture and sharing features
- in app purchasing
- integration with popular social media sites
- search and help facilities
- Geo-location services